About the Scholarship
American poet Amy Lowell passed away in 1925. She included a yearly scholarship in her will to support gifted poets of American ancestry who choose to pursue studies overseas.
The Trustees in the Boston, Massachusetts, office of Choate, Hall & Stewart are in charge of administering the scholarship in accordance with her final wishes.
The Trustees encourage people of all ethnic backgrounds to apply since they seek to nurture and cultivate a diverse assortment of poets.
Amy Lowell Traveling Scholarship Value
The scholarship award for 2023–2024 will be about $66,500 when inflation is factored in. If there are two winners, they will each get the entire amount for the award.
It’s a poetry competition. The money won is usually used for living and travel expenses.
Requirements for Amy Lowell Traveling Scholarship
- Applicants must be citizens of the United States either by virtue of birth in the United States or by birth abroad to a parent who is a citizen of the United States.
- Any poet of American descent who is competent and ready to spend a year away from the North American continent.
- There is no minimum age limit, and enrollment in a university or other educational program is not required of applicants.
- While some current winners have published works of poetry, it is not necessary for applicants to have done so.
Application Requirements for Amy Lowell Travelling Scholarship
In order to be eligible for the Amy Lowell Travelling Scholarship, do the following:
- Copy of the application in its entirety. You can, but are not required to, submit a two to three page curriculum vitae (again, two copies).
- A sample of your poetry which could either be:
- 40 or more typed pages (two copies) or
- two printed volumes of your poems and no more than two additional typed pages of no more than twenty pages each.
There is no minimum number of pages needed, and there is no certain structure that must be followed, however please number your pages. Please deliver your sample in one envelope with both copies. There must be paper copies submitted; emails and facsimiles are not acceptable.
- Applications must be fully filled out and include all necessary attachments by October 15.
- Applications that don’t adhere to these guidelines won’t be taken into consideration.
- You must include a self-addressed, postage-paid envelope if you want any of your entries returned to you once the members of the Selection Committee have finished considering them.
By the end of March, the Selection Committee will announce the Scholarship winner.
The application for the Amy Lowell Travelling Scholarship will close by October 15, 2022.
you are hereby, encouraged to apply for the scholarship now before the deadline fall.
All interested applicant for the Amy Lowell Travelling Scholarship are advised to email there documents to the following contact info:
Charles A. Cheever and William A. Lowell
Trustees under the Will of Amy Lowell
Choate, Hall & Stewart, LLP
2 International Place
Boston, MA 02110