They often say the bigger, the better, but we wonder why the search for how to make your forehead smaller is so rampant on the internet today.
Generally, people associate a small forehead with a well-balanced and more attractive face, but this cannot be any further from the truth as there was an era when having a prominent forehead was considered a win.
Famous figures like the queen of England and Rihanna still have well-pronounced foreheads even in our world today. And they all seem to carry it with confidence emitting beauty wherever they turn.
Unfortunately, not many people can carry their big forehead with that amount of grace and confidence, and the internet is filled with questions about how to make your forehead smaller.
If you are also in this category, sit back and relax as we show simple tricks, from hairstyles to makeup, on how to get a smaller forehead.
Watch Video On How to Make Your Forehead Smaller
How to Make Your Forehead Smaller
First, having a larger forehead than “normal” is said to place a limitation on the types and styles of hair you can rock. For instance, people with more prominent foreheads may find it tricky to wear middle partitions or ponytails.
Also, cameras are well known for distorting images and amplifying facial features by about 30%. This means that when people with slightly large foreheads take selfies, they stand the risk of seeing their foreheads look 30% larger than it actually is.
Combined, the above points can destroy confidence and breed dissatisfaction, hence the need to get smaller foreheads.
But surgeries to reduce foreheads are painful, risky, and expensive. Hence, a better alternative is non-surgical options such as tricks and techniques and below are some tricks that work:
Step 1: Create an optical illusion with a contour
- Get a relatively darker shade of foundation that is about 3 or 4 times darker than your skin tone
- Apply the foundation just along the hairline and temples. Avoid applying directly on the hairline
- Add a bronzer and blend into the foundation to give a more natural look
Step 2: Craft a dramatic look
- Next, accentuate your eyes with bold eye shadows and eyeliners to divert attention from your forehead. You can also use a gray, navy, or brown eye shadow over your eyelids to create a smoky eye for dramatic effect.
- Add your favorite mascara for finishing.
Step 3: Apply some blush to balance out
- Select a shade of blush to use on your cheeks and eyelids. Be sure to pick a rosy toned or bright colored peachy blush.
- Apply the blush and use a brush to blend it seamlessly with the eye shadow and eyeliner
Step 1: Wear bobs and bangs
- Generally, bangs that start at short and get longer around the sides are fitting for concealing large foreheads.
- However, it may not cover every type of big forehead, especially larger foreheads that also flaunt a prominent nose.
Step 2: Consult your stylist.
- If you are unsure if a bang will do the trick, ask your stylist for a style they recommend, or flip through a hairstyle magazine to pick something that will fit you
Step 3: Choose low and loose hairstyles.
- Wearing a loosely or messy hairdo has a way of making your forehead appear smaller.
- Remember to partition it in the middle and pull some pieces downwards to leave it loose in front whenever you decide to have your hair up.
- As much as possible, avoid slicked back hairstyles or tightly pulled back ponytails as they can exaggerate the size of your forehead.
Step 4: Concentrate on increasing the volume of the hair
- Hairstyles with lots of layers and waves are great for adding volume and balancing out the shape of your forehead
- You can increase hair volume by using certain products, blow-drying the hair, or even curling it
Using Head Accessories
Step 1: Covering up with a cute hat
- Try out a cute hat while standing before a mirror to see how it looks. Wearing a cute hat or hair scarf will not only cover up your forehead but also provide some level of protection from UV rays.
Step 2: Groom your eyebrows for a complete and shapely appearance
- Use short strokes of pencils or brush to sculpt flattering browse and use some powder or pomade to make it appear fuller
- You can also use a clear brow gel to keep your new brows in place all day long
- Put more attention on making the edges of the brow more pronounced
Step 3: Say more with earrings and necklaces
- Using accessories such as sparkly earrings and a shiny necklace to complete your outfit helps steal the spotlight away from your forehead, even temporarily.
Why Do I Have A Big Forehead?
While looking for how to make your forehead smaller, you may also want to know why you have a prominent forehead.
Simply put, you may have a prominent forehead because of a receding or high hairline, a heavy eyebrow, low hair density, or genetics.
The forehead can be defined as the space between your hairline and the uppermost part of your eye socket, and the wider the space, the more prominent the forehead.
Causes of big foreheads like genetics cannot be helped as most fixes for large foreheads are temporal. Most of the solutions for big foreheads are aimed at causing such as receding hairlines, hair volume, and brow fullness.
Hence if you have a big forehead that you are worried about, you may want to establish that your genes do not cause it. Once this is settled, you can see the options available to you.
Cosmetic fixes can change the appearance of big foreheads caused even by genetics, but this is only for some time.
There are also forehead reduction surgeries that do not involve a complete invasion of the underlying bone structure of the forehead.
Can You Lower Your Hairline?
Yes, you can lower your hairline through hairline lowering or advancement procedures which helps to move the hairline forward.
These procedures are used to lower and shorten high hairlines in a few steps. The first step is performed to reduce the hairline by about 2 inches. A second procedure involves hair grafting or transplantation to change the overall shape of the hairline.
Interestingly, this type of surgery is more common amongst women as a high hairline is considered less feminine.
The new procedure itself involves first making an incision along a line forward from the original hairline to indicate where the new hairline will stop.
Next, the excess skin in-between is removed, and the wound is sutured. The wound typically heals up within weeks to allow hair to grow in that region.
In practice, this procedure is more complex and complicated and said to be more challenging than the older procedure, hair grafting.
Experts, however, recommend that the process is safe, especially when carried out by a trained doctor. Regardless, the cost of hairline reduction could be something not everyone can afford.
How Much Is Forehead Reduction?
Another common question asked by those seeking how to get a smaller forehead is how much the procedure costs on average.
The average cost of getting a forehead reduction is anywhere from $4,000 to $11,000. However, this may vary based on several factors, including your location, the surgeon’s level of experience and reputation, and the complexity of the process.
Therefore, it is advisable that you first consult the experts and know what is required to make your forehead smaller and how much the entire process would cost.
You may also have to find out the cost of the surgical facility and the different types of anaesthesia and whether or not you will have to pay extra for any nursing services you receive after the procedure.
But the cost of performing this surgery is not the only crucial factor to consider. There is also a list of things you should do before and after the surgery for everything to be successful.
Before The Forehead Reduction Procedure
- Be open and discuss your current health issues and any past concerns with a general physician so that you can both be sure of your fitness for the process.
- Refrain from alcohol consumption and smoking in the weeks that preceded the surgery. Instead, focus on eating only high-quality nutrition.
- Dying your hair towards the start of the operation is also discouraged as the chemicals can affect the recovery process.
- Lastly, follow the instructions of the surgeon to the latter for a successful surgery.
After The Forehead Reduction Procedure
- If you choose reduction surgery as your favorite solution on how to make your forehead smaller, then you must know that recovery usually takes place after 3 to 4 days. That is, it would take about 4 days before you can engage in less stressful daily activities, including driving.
- You will always need to keep your head elevated at an angle of about 45 degrees to help you heal faster.
- You will also need one whole week of rest and no strenuous activities for a full recovery.
How Painful Is Forehead Reduction Surgery?
Experts say that there is little or no pains before and after a forehead reduction operation in most cases.
However, there have been cases of mild soreness around the head region and eyes sockets following the operation. But even this is said to be very short-lived as it wears off about 4 days later.
Generally, some of the risks that may arise from this procedure include scalp numbness during the surgery and a few days after the surgery, slight bruising and swellings, and on rare occasions, bleeding, poor wound healing, infection, and visible scarring.
That said, the incisions heal after 2 or 3 weeks, but it may take several months before the scars can completely disappear and before the full results can become very apparent.
However, once the results become apparent, they are permanent, and your new look will stay that way even during old age. The eyebrows may drop during natural aging, but the forehead will remain smaller after the surgery.
Are Big Foreheads Attractive Female?
There was a time when ladies plucked the hair on their hairlines and pushed it back to attain higher hairlines because this was considered the ideal definition of an attractive female.
While that era has now passed, big foreheads are still considered attractive features when carried with grace and confidence.
A female forehead’s average height and width are 58.3 ± 6.6 mm and 129 ± 14.4 mm, respectively. Any forehead outside of this range can then be called a prominent forehead.
But scientifically speaking, a face only needs to be symmetrical and balanced to be attractive. For instance, a female with a high forehead, fuller lips, straight nose, and narrow chin. This female would be more attractive than another that flaunts a smaller forehead but with a broad nose and longer jawline.
The science is in the balance. Having a big forehead is always attractive if it aligns perfectly with the rest of the facial features. That is, if you can fold the face in two and both halves line up perfectly in the middle, then we have a beautiful female.
Our current society may make you doubt your beauty if you have a prominent forehead, and this might naturally put you on the verge of looking for how to make your forehead smaller.
If you are so pressured and can’t move past it, try any of the tricks on how to get a smaller forehead as described above. You can even use all of them at once for the best result.
It is not until you have tried these tricks and are still unsatisfied that we recommend doing a forehead reduction operation. This may cost more and come with more risks, but the results are more permanent and radical.